So our time in South America has come to an end (sniff sniff!) and before I move on to write about the next continent, I thought I’d do a short round-up of our highlights. We always get asked ‘What’s been your favourite place so far?’, and we never manage to give a straight answer. Each country has been so different and we’ve had favourites all over the place! It was pretty difficult to narrow it down to just 10 things (and impossible to put them in any order, so these are just chronological), but with Toby’s help I’ve managed comprise the following list. Click on the links in the brackets if you’re interested in reading the original posts.
1. Riding the cable car up to the Pao de Azucar (Sugarloaf Mountain), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (here)
2. Getting soaked at Iguaçu Falls, Brazil/Argentina (here)
3. Horse Riding in the Uruguayan countryside (here)
4. Wine tasting in Mendoza, Argentina (here)
5. Walking the street galleries, Valparaíso, Chile (here)
6. Our Campervan road trip through the Atacama desert, Chile (here)
7. Tour in a 4X4 through the Uyuni Salt Flats, Bolivia (here)
8. Staying on the Isla del Sol, Lake Titicaca, Bolivia (here)
9. Trekking the Colca Canyon, Peru (here)
10. Machu Picchu (of course!) and the Sacred Valley, Peru (here)
Well, what an incredibly diverse continent. We’ve seen sea, beaches, mountains, jungle, salt flat, desert and canyons, and it’s been absolutely amazing. We’ve met some wonderfully welcoming people who have made our trip extra special. To anyone considering a trip around South America – do it! There’s absolutely something for everyone.